[clangd-dev] Releasing/packaging clangd

Sam McCall via clangd-dev clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 20 14:33:56 PDT 2018

+Sylvestre, who appears to maintain clang/llvm packages for debian.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 10:08 PM Ilya Biryukov <iu.biryukov at gmail.com>
wrote:

> BTW, Kadir noticed today that clangd is already packaged in clang-tools
> package and available in the new Ubuntu distributions, see:
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/amd64/clang-tools-7/filelist
>
> (It's also there in clang-tools-5 and clang-tools-6)

Oh, good catch! I was looking at the clang-tools package, not clang-tools-N.
(I don't really understand debian packaging, in case it wasn't obvious!)

It's named /usr/bin/clangd-7, though. Would be nice to have a
> /usr/bin/clangd symlink pointing to one of the "versioned" binaries

I guess there's some packaging magic needed to get that symlink...
Seems to be here:
https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-llvm-team/llvm-defaults/blob/5f4f2eb04f1340a8228bda0168534dd63a199be2/debian/rules#L288-290

Sylvestre: Do we have that right? If we want a clangd symlink for the next
clang-tools release, should I add one line to "rules" and send you a GitLab
merge requsest?

(Sorry for the noise, or if there's a better venue)
Cheers, Sam