[clangd-dev] Replacing -lit-test with a test utility?

Eric Liu via clangd-dev clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 14 08:04:20 PDT 2018

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 2:52 PM Jan Korous via clangd-dev <
clangd-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We were discussing https://reviews.llvm.org/D50641 over lunch and an idea
> to replace -lit-test by an utility appeared (shoutout to Dan Liew!).
>
> I don’t particularly like to have specific code path for testing but I see
> the value it provides. How about I implement a small python script or a
> binary that would read JSON strings separated by triple-dash from stdin and
> write proper LSP messages to stdout (with LSP headers prepended)?

How would this help with the bugs in D50641? AFAICT, the non-lit code path
wouldn't catch the bugs either; it also returns None with some error
message. As Alex suggested in the patch, I also think it would be more
helpful if we could exit clangd with failure on malformed message (when
-lit-test is set).

What do you think?