[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Phabricator -> GitHub PRs?

Fangrui Song via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 14 14:53:35 PST 2020

On 2020-01-14, Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 09:56:53PM +0000, Renato Golin via cfe-dev wrote:
>> GitHub PR is the "de facto standard", everyone knows, the entry cost
>> is practically zero. The UI is lean and missing features, but the
>> large availability of tooling (either targeting GitHub directly or
>> plain git) makes up for a lot of it.
>
>Just like with the "Everyone knows git", I call bullshit on this. Sorry,
>but the far majority of GitHub users know little more than the most barebone
>functionality of Pull Requests and the typical use case in most projects
>is to squash all changes. But at this point it seems clear that the real
>goal is to just move everything to GitHub just for the sake of it.

Agree with Joerg here. And thanks for the recommendation https://gregoryszorc.com/blog/2020/01/07/problems-with-pull-requests-and-how-to-fix-them/ It was a great reading!

We should find justifying reasons to migrate (it has a significant cost
for people used to the current system), not just for the sake of using
GitHub for everything.

Konrad Kleine's action is appreciated (contacted the Github Support
about a deficiency).