[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Phabricator -> GitHub PRs?

Joerg Sonnenberger via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 14 14:34:14 PST 2020

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 09:56:53PM +0000, Renato Golin via cfe-dev wrote:
> GitHub PR is the "de facto standard", everyone knows, the entry cost
> is practically zero. The UI is lean and missing features, but the
> large availability of tooling (either targeting GitHub directly or
> plain git) makes up for a lot of it.

Just like with the "Everyone knows git", I call bullshit on this. Sorry,
but the far majority of GitHub users know little more than the most barebone
functionality of Pull Requests and the typical use case in most projects
is to squash all changes. But at this point it seems clear that the real
goal is to just move everything to GitHub just for the sake of it.

> Phab has a very complex UI with a lot of features that people have
> come to rely over the years. But it's far too complex for new people
> and requires specially crafted tooling to work with.

Can you at least try to make reasonable arguments without ridiculous
hyperbole? Using phabricator for the casual user requires no special
tooling. Patches can be easily submitted via patch upload. There are
better ways to integrate it into a workflow, arcanist and git-phab just
to mention two.

Joerg