[cfe-dev] BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=True breaks some tests

Joel E. Denny via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 8 13:50:12 PST 2019

Hi,

Sometime this past summer or fall, a set of Clang tests on master started
failing for me when using BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=True, but they behave without
it:

    Clang :: CXX/modules-ts/basic/basic.link/p2/module.cpp
    Clang :: Modules/ExtDebugInfo.cpp
    Clang :: Modules/using-directive-redecl.cpp
    Clang :: Modules/using-directive.cpp
    Clang :: PCH/chain-late-anonymous-namespace.cpp
    Clang :: PCH/cxx-namespaces.cpp
    Clang :: PCH/namespaces.cpp

I heard recently that BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=True might not be as widely used or
tested as I expected [1].  I prefer it as it significantly decreases build
sizes and, more importantly, accelerates incremental builds for me, at
least under Ubuntu 18.04.1 [2].  For example, after I touch
clang/lib/Sema/SemaOpenMP.cpp, an incremental build runs 7.5x faster if
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=True.  I prefer to recompile and test frequently during
development, so this difference has a big impact.

Do other Clang developers find BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=True useful?  Do you see
the above failures?  Should there be a bot to test that build configuration?

I have not attempted to debug the above failures yet, and I'm happy to
provide more details, but I thought I should ask the larger questions about
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS=True first.

Thanks.

Joel

[1]: http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/lldb-dev/2019-January/014554.html