[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Updates on SVN to GitHub migration

Jonas Hahnfeld via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 22 09:11:54 PDT 2018

On 2018-10-22 05:46, Mehdi AMINI wrote:
> Le sam. 20 oct. 2018 à 01:09, Jonas Hahnfeld via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> a écrit :
>
>> (+openmp-dev, they should know about this!)
>>
>> Recapping the "Concerns"
>> (https://llvm.org/docs/Proposals/GitHubMove.html#id12) there is a
>> proposal of "single-subproject Git mirrors" for people who are only
>> contributing to standalone subprojects.
>
>> I think this will be easy in the
>> transition period, we can just continue to move the current official
>> git
>> mirrors.
>
> I am not sure I understand this sentence?

Sorry, "We can just continue to use the current official git mirrors"
(because SVN will stay the "official" repo during the transition
period).
I've mixed this with the thought that these subproject mirrors could be
"moved" to the official LLVM namespace on GitHub, instead of living in
https://github.com/llvm-mirror/.

>> Will this "service" be continued after GitHub becomes the 'one
>> source of truth'? I'd strongly vote for yes, but I'm not sure how
>> that's
>> going to work on a technical level.
>
> I suspect that a possible problem will be that we can't guarantee in
> the future that a particular subdirectory in the monorepo won't move,
> be split, reorganized, or that its build script will be tested in CI
> independently of the rest of the repo.
> Otherwise providing a read-only repo that contains only a subset of
> the monorepo isn't very difficult: someone has to provide a machine to
> continuously update the read-only "view".

Sure, the monorepo will be the "master" repository. I think it's enough
to mirror a subdirectory from that, if easily possible.

Cheers,
Jonas