[cfe-dev] Using code coverage in clang-cl.exe

Miklos Vajna via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 11 00:19:52 PDT 2018

Hi,

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 03:31:40PM -0700, Reid Kleckner via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> I made these available in clang-cl in r332053. I have no idea if it works
> on Windows at all, though. In the meantime, you can probably enable this
> functionality by escaping the flag with -Xclang -fcoverage-mapping.
>
> There isn't any particular reason why flags aren't available in clang-cl.
> We effectively whitelist gcc-style flags one at a time for inclusion in the
> clang-cl command line interface. At some point I would like to do something
> like whitelist all -f flags, since they are unlikely to conflict with
> future MSVC flags.

Somewhat related: the other day I wanted to have a compilation database
for a project still using nmake (libxmlsec). The code nicely compiles
with clang-cl, but I could not use the (otherwise available) -MJ flag to
build a compilation database as it's not reachable via clang-cl.

I'm not sure if there is already a naming convention how to expose
"-M..." with clang-cl, though. :-)

Would it make sense to expose it in some way? Should I file a bug for
this? (I don't have a clang dev setup on Windows, so it's not easy for
me to look at this myself.)

Thanks a lot,

Miklos