[cfe-dev] zapcc the faster clang?

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 19 18:15:04 PDT 2018

On 19 June 2018 at 14:00, Jean-Daniel via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>
wrote:

> > Le 19 juin 2018 à 19:08, theUser BL via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>
> a écrit :
> >
> > I have read in the news, that there is a new C++ compiler based on
> clang. But it is a lot of faster
> >
> > https://www.zapcc.com/
> > https://github.com/yrnkrn/zapcc
> >
> > Here more compile comparision demos:
> > https://www.zapcc.com/demo-webkit/
> > https://www.zapcc.com/demo-incremental-build/
> >
> > Interestingly I don't read here on clang not about it.
>
> Probably because it was a closed source project until a few days ago.

It still seems to be unclear what license the zapcc code on github is
released under. The zapcc website says that "All of the code in LLVM is
available under the University of Illinois/NCSA Open Source License", but
zapcc is not part of LLVM at this time, and nothing else on the licensing
page seems to mention a license for zapcc itself.

> Will be changing of it included in clang and be part of future versions
> of clang?

If the zapcc authors intend to contribute zapcc to the LLVM project, then
we can and should start considering the technical merits of the
implementation and begin a discussion about whether some or all of it could
one day have a home in upstream clang. If that's their desire, sending a
patch (even if it's huge) through one of our normal paths -- either mailing
it to cfe-commits or posting a review on phabricator -- would be a good
component of a path forward.