[cfe-dev] Clang Static Analyzer supporting Cross Translation Unit

Yingtong Liu via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 14 16:31:07 PST 2018

Hi all,

As far as I know, Clang static analyzer suported interprocedural analysis
in one translation unit very well but not very good for the whole program
interprocedural analysis.

I got some primilary information about cross translation unit analysis
online like this one:
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2017-March/053366.html. But it
seems like it's still an exprimental work, and no more meterials are
available.

My work cares about interprocedural analysis a lot. I am kind of struggling
on choosing tools to write checkers between clang analyzer and llvm pass.
LLVM pass supports interprocedural analysis very well but they don't have a
lot of checkers available like clang analyzer. I wonder will cross
translation unit analysis in clang analyzer be supported very solidly in
the furture? Is it a promising project that you might be interested putting
effort on?

I know it might be very expensive to support both path-sensitive and
interprocedural analysis, especially for large systems. They may run out of
memory. So I am curious if anyone is working on cross translation unit.

Thank you.

Best,
Ying