[cfe-dev] [Modules TS] feedback

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 25 10:24:02 PDT 2017

On 25 May 2017 3:46 am, "Boris Kolpackov" <boris at codesynthesis.com> wrote:

Hi Eric,

Eric Fiselier <eric at efcs.ca> writes:

> Libc++ ships with a module.modulemap, so it should work out of the box
with
> Clang modules.

I may be wrong, but I don't think "old" modules support (-fmodules) is
compatible with "new" (-fmodules-ts).

They are compatible, and designed and intended to be used together.

Even if it is, using a Clang-specific .modulemap file is not ideal in
my case. I would much prefer to have "standard" (as in Modules TS) module
interface units.

For this, you'll probably need to wait for the modules TS to specify how
the standard library is supposed to be modularized. (
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2017/p0581r0.pdf
contains a suggestion of how this might look, but it has undergone no
committee review so far).

A bit more background: I am adding C++ modules support to a build system
(build2) and trying to figure out how everything is going to fit together.
Based on the discussion in this thread it's clear that the build system
will need to pre-compile module interface units on the consumer side
even for the standard library (because of different compilation options
which may affect the result; but see earlier emails for details).

Thanks,
Boris