[cfe-dev] [Modules TS] feedback

Boris Kolpackov via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 26 02:08:15 PDT 2017

Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk> writes:

> They are compatible, and designed and intended to be used together.

Goog to know, thanks.

> For this, you'll probably need to wait for the modules TS to specify how
> the standard library is supposed to be modularized. (
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2017/p0581r0.pdf
> contains a suggestion of how this might look, but it has undergone no
> committee review so far).

Yes, I was thinking along the lines of that proposal. Microsoft has
shipped a preview of the standard library modularization in VC15, so
some have started playing with this.

Their approach, however, is different compared to what we discussed
in this thread in that they shipped precompiled standard library
modules (for a few runtimes) which the compiler then selects auto-
magically based on the IFCPATH environment variable. So in their
case the standard library modules are special and handled in an ad
hoc manner.

Boris