[cfe-dev] Potential Topics for BoF on the Clang Static Analyzer

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 28 09:31:19 PDT 2017

One thing i'd gladly talk or listen about would be our checker API. We
have lots of boilerplate and code duplication in the analyzer's
checkers, and also common mistakes in typical tasks - in fact there are
just too many typical tasks that take experience to identify and
implement properly, that need to be re-implemented in every checker. I
often look at the newly submitted checker and wonder: the idea for the
check seems trivial, how come it's already 1k lines of code and keeps
growing? The smell of these issues suggests that possibly a better API
could have reduced the code size of many checkers dramatically, which
would in turn catch bugs and maybe even simplify and speed up reviews.
Even if grand projects like implementing a domain-specific language for
checkers (that would ideally reduce the checker to its typestate
diagram) would not necessarily be immediately taken up, i believe that
many good realistic ideas may arise from such discussion, or be shared
and investigated.