[cfe-dev] Address sanitizer memory usage

Kostya Serebryany via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 8 10:12:44 PST 2017

+ Devin and Kuba from Apple, who may have iOS-specific knowledge.

We've recently made several changes that make asan consume less memory, but
* these changes are not yet in Xcode 9 (I assume)
* I am not 100% sure these changes affect iOS (we tested only on Linux,
Kuba has recently applied related patches for Mac)
* Your problem might be caused by something else

Typically the biggest source of memory consumption is quarantine and the
stack trace storage (stack_depot).
If you are able to set ASAN_OPTIONS env var, please try this:
ASAN_OPTIONS=quarantine_size_mb=1:malloc_context_size=5

quarantine_size_mb=1 limits the quarantine size (and thus reduces the
ability to find use-after-free)
malloc_context_size=5 reduces the length of stack traces that asan stores
for future bug reporting

If these don't help, we'll need more details (e.g. the iOS's analog of
/proc/PID/maps for the process at the time of failure)

--kcc