[cfe-dev] [RFC][clang-tidy] Register warnings as check aliases

Gábor Horváth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 3 01:43:10 PDT 2016

Hi!

On 29 September 2016 at 09:52, Daniel Marjamäki <
Daniel.Marjamaki at evidente.se> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> This sounds useful for those that wants to check CERT compliance.
>
> However if I just run clang-tidy as a complement to get extra checks ..
> then I don't want that clang compiler warnings are enabled and renamed
> "behind my back". Do you think we can avoid that?

What do you mean? In case somebody enables the CERT checks, I think she is
likely to be interested in all CERT checks. And right now there, when a
check is already covered by a warning it is not added to clang tidy. So in
order to get the best coverage on needs to review all of the warnings and
enable them explicitly. I think it is much more convenient to just enable
the CERT checks and you are good to go. Can you think of a use case where
this is unintended behaviour?

> Many static analyzer checkers has partial coverage of CERT rules also. For
> instance out-of-bounds, dereferencing null pointers, etc. I assume you
> would only alias checks that has full coverage?

Yes, I think it we should only add alias to checks with full coverage.
However, it would be great to document partial coverage somewhere.

Regards,
Gábor