[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [RFC] Embedding Bitcode in Object Files

Steven Wu via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 4 14:59:03 PST 2016

Hi Sergei and Rafael

Thanks for the comment!

In terms of bitcode section, my plan is to make "__LLVM, __bitcode" section the MachO version of ".llvmbc" section. In latest Darwin OS, "__LLVM" segment will not be loaded by dyld when you try to execute a binary with embedded bitcode which is a plus for this feature.

And for the command line, Sergei has the correct idea about the motivation behind this. We want to have enough information to recreate the same binary from the embedded bitcode (at least when compiled with the same compiler). Here is an example:
$ clang -fembed-bitcode -O0 test.c -c -###
 "clang" "-cc1"  (...lots of options...) "-o" "test.bc" "-x" "c" "test.c"   <--- First stage
 "clang" "-cc1" "-triple" "x86_64-apple-macosx10.11.0" "-emit-obj" "-fembed-bitcode" "-O0" "-disable-llvm-optzns" "-o" "test.o" "-x" "ir" "test.bc"  <--- Second stage
If we record all the options from the second stage, we can recreate the same object file using the exact same command. So, yes, they are cc1 flags. I understand they are no stable but second stage can only have a handful of options that: 1. affects codegen. 2. not embedded in the bitcode that should be record. This list should be shrinking towards zero eventually (not sure about -O0 and other optimization options). If we have to rename them before removing them from the embedding option list, we can provide upgrade for them.

This feature is orthogonal to LTO. For my current implementation, "-flto -fembed-bitcode" is the same as "-flto". Linker need to have the logic to handle a llvm bitcode file (treated as LTO) and a macho file with embedded bitcode (treated as normal link) differently.

Thanks

Steven