[cfe-dev] "File too big/too many sections" when building Registry.cpp in MSYS2 Environment

William D. Jones via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 19 01:58:38 PST 2016

Hello all,

I'm (re)building a copy of Clang 3.9 for a git fork of LLVM (or1k) that
tracks 3.9 but is not yet merged into LLVM proper. The last merge from the
main Clang codebase was on Aug 11, release_39. When building, LLVM seems to
compile fine. However, with Clang I am running into the following error as
shown in this gist:
https://gist.github.com/cr1901/d5a4e8f1df6049c00c6f02f08e7f8488

Just to test, I have also confirmed that this same error occurs as of commit
54f5752c, release_39 branch, on the LLVM Github mirror. I have not tried
HEAD of master, or SVN r290090 as of this writing. I also have not tried
compiling an LLVM/Clang using MSVC, and am not currently in a position to
try.

According to this linked post, this error has occurred during Windows builds
before: http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2013-June/030024.html I know
a stopgap solution is to introduce the –bigobj flag to the linker, but I was
under the impression from another linked post-
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2014-May/072642.html- that the flag
should not be required, and some unit tests fail when –bigobj is enabled.

Are the above posts out of date, and the flag is now required? Are there any
special options (besides overriding LDFLAGS directly) I may have forgot when
generating the Makefiles? Building a Release build is not desirable for me
for various reasons. My current LLVM/Clang, built in much the same way, is
3.5, so I know that in the past, too many sections wasn't an issue :).

Thanks for any help in advance! Sincerely,

--
William D. Jones
thor0505 at comcast.net