[cfe-dev] 'too many sections' when building an object file for llvm/clang

Nicholas Braden nicholas11braden at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 22:34:51 PDT 2013

Hi, I'm building llvm & clang on a Windows 7 64-bit machine using
MinGW-w64 (it's been a long day getting everything to work).
Everything goes well up to 82% through the build process, then when it
tries to build Registry.cpp (specifically the one for the clang
dynamic AST matchers), MinGW's as.exe errors out with "too many
sections (55123)". I've done everything I know how to do to try and
avoid this, and I've done searching on the web about this, but it
seems that this type of error happens very rarely and there's no well
known solution.

This is the verbose output of the exact command that is being
executed: https://gist.github.com/LB--/5727166

I was wondering if anyone here has had this happen and/or knows how to
fix it - I would even go as far as modifying some of the MinGW-w64
source files to raise the limit on as, but I don't know how to do that
without guidance. I know that llvm/clang are not very well supported
on Windows and that I'm shooting in the dark here, but I really want
to use clang as my primary compiler.

This is my first time using a mailing list, I am sorry if there are
formatting problems - please let me know how to fix them if there are
any.

- Nicholas "LB" Braden