[cfe-dev] Fw: Clang Static Analyzer: False Positive Suppression Support

Aditya K via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 19 08:34:14 PDT 2016

I had the same confusion while implementing the support for suppressing warnings because different teams would have different preferences. So I decided to implement both.

My implementation would take a YAML file which was generated by the clang static analyzer itself.

There are several advantages of hashing-based method:

1. It helps in tracking the history of reports by tracking just one file.

2. That YAML/JSON file can also be used by any IDEs to display a graphical view of control flow that led to the bug.

3. The suppression mechanism can be external to clang (if one choses to do so).

4. The hashing based method is easier to implement and maintainable both for clang source and the projects using it.

The comment based approach is intrusive to the project and binds the project to clang static analyzer tool in that sense. It is difficult to maintain that functionality in the sense it relies heavily on the format of error report generated by the clang static analyzer. Changing the error category or, moving the checker to another class would require a lot of change in the project. The one big advantage is that this approach enforces very active maintenance of the project.

I think it will be good to have both kinds of support so that projects would have more flexibility.

Thanks,
-Aditya