[cfe-dev] Fwd: clang-cl and INCLUDE path ordering

Jay Foad via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 19 08:09:12 PDT 2016

On 19 August 2016 at 15:56, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:

> I don't think we can change the ordering because VC/include is typically
> included in the INCLUDE environment variable, and that directory contains
> MSVC's *mmintrin.h headers, which are compiler-specific. We need clang's
> intrinsic headers to win out over MSVC's.

OK, that sounds like a plausible excuse! :-)

It sounds like you can work around the issue by passing /I., though, right?

Yes, there are plenty of easy workarounds.

Thanks for the report, though, always excited to hear about new user
> experiences. :)

Overall the transition from cl to clang-cl was incredibly smooth. Thanks!

For the record, the only other problem I ran into that I haven't seen
mentioned elsewhere is that cl (as of VS 2015) accepts _try/_except as
synonyms for __try/__except, even though it's more or less explicitly
documented that they *don't* exist!

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2e6a4at9.aspx
"For backward compatibility, single-underscore versions of all the
double-underscored keywords except *__except*,*__finally*, *__leave*, and
*__try* are supported."

Jay.