[cfe-dev] LLVM/Clang Maintainers Organigram??

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Fri Jan 9 11:49:34 PST 2015

On 01/09/2015 11:30 AM, Mikael Persson wrote:
> Hi LLVM/Clang devs,
>
> Does LLVM / Clang have some sort of publicly-available organigram of
> its maintainers? Something like the Linux kernel maintainers tree
> (https://www.kernel.org/doc/linux/MAINTAINERS).
>
> I find this to be a pretty big entry barrier for people trying to
> contribute or help with LLVM or Clang. It says all over the submission
> process description and requirements that patches have to be reviewed
> by maintainers, that they can be contacted for help and things along
> those lines. But if I'm working on some specific part of llvm/clang,
> how on Earth am I supposed to know who is the appropriate maintainer
> to contact or tag on patches or questions for that specific part /
> module of llvm/clang?
Take a look at either CODE_OWNERS.TXT or the revision history for the
files you want to change.  This is in the documentation somewhere, but
if you have specific spots you think it should live and it doesn't,
please list them.  I'd be happy to update the documentation.

> It leaves a kind of "private club" impression, where there's a facade
> of openness to community contributions with an effective restriction
> to "insiders". As an outsider trying to contribute some patch(es), I
> can say that the hurdles are too much (e.g., contributing patches to
> Boost is like a walk in the park in comparison to LLVM/Clang).
If you have specific concrete suggestions on how to reduce this
impression, please list them.