[cfe-dev] libc++ supporting older compilers

Eric Fiselier via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 21 17:32:04 PST 2015

I think we have found consensus, or at least mild agreement, that nobody
needs libc++ to support GCC 4.6, 4.7 or 4.8.
Unless there are any late objections I'm going to proceed with

* Requiring GCC 4.9+ to use libc++ in C++11 mode.

While GCC 4.9 may not be optimal for everybody it is a compiler we can
meaningfully support.
Users of GCC 4.9+ should expect no test failures in C++11 mode and I will
set up a buildbot to enforce this.

This new requirement also has an exciting implication: Libc++ no longer has
to configure for incomplete C++11 implementations.**
This means that libc++ no longer has to restrict its use of C++11 features
such as "constexpr" and alias templates in C++11 mode.

However I still don't know what to do about GCC in C++03 mode, which still
has over 600 test failures. But that is a separate
question and deserves it's separate thread. Expect to see a new thread in
cfe-dev tonight.

/Eric

** I'll triple check this before I act on it.