[cfe-dev] libc++ supporting older compilers

Eric Fiselier via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 21 15:49:31 PST 2015

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 8:19 AM, Craig, Ben via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 12/19/2015 2:44 PM, Renato Golin wrote:
>
>> On 18 December 2015 at 14:30, Craig, Ben via cfe-dev
>> <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (precise), released Apr-26-2012: GCC 4.6.3
>>> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (trusty), released Apr-17-2014: GCC 4.8.2
>>>
>> Previous LTS is deprecated when a new LTS comes along, so no one
>> should have to worry about 12.04 in this day and age.
>>
>> Is there any one that this is important?

These configurations break enough that I doubt anybody is depending on
them. I think I would have seen more bug reports if people were trying to
use it.

This is also the entirely wrong question to ask. What's important is that
Libc++ is allowed to required C++11, and C++11 implementation should work.
People who insist on using a ToT STL with an old compiler puzzle me. You
can't expect new library features without additional language support.

/Eric