[cfe-dev] libc++ supporting older compilers

Eric Fiselier via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 18 15:42:21 PST 2015

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 3:34 AM, David Chisnall via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 18 Dec 2015, at 02:35, Marshall Clow via cfe-dev <
> cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > We're having more and more trouble supporting pre-4.7 versions of gcc,
> especially in C++03 mode.
> >
> > Much of the early gcc support was driven by the fact that Apple was
> never going to move past gcc 4.2.1, and the necessity of supporting that
> compiler - but that ship has sailed.
> >
> > I'd like to officially drop support for those compilers.
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> In general, I’d be happy requiring a compiler that has full C++11 support
> for building a C++11 standard library - doing otherwise seems odd.  My one
> concern (which I don’t think applies in this specific case) is on the
> dependency between libc++ and clang.  We need to make sure that there’s an
> upgrade path that lets us bootstrap libc++ with an older clang, before
> building a newer one.

Why would you build libc++ twice when bootstrapping? Either way, Libc++
will continue to build with older clangs for a long time to come.
I don't foresee a need to bootstrap it. I could only test Clang 3.2 but
that still builds libc++ flawlessly.

This may change once we need C++1z features compiled into the dylib though.