[cfe-dev] libc++ supporting older compilers

David Chisnall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 18 02:34:02 PST 2015

On 18 Dec 2015, at 02:35, Marshall Clow via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> We're having more and more trouble supporting pre-4.7 versions of gcc, especially in C++03 mode.
>
> Much of the early gcc support was driven by the fact that Apple was never going to move past gcc 4.2.1, and the necessity of supporting that compiler - but that ship has sailed.
>
> I'd like to officially drop support for those compilers.
>
> Opinions?

In general, I’d be happy requiring a compiler that has full C++11 support for building a C++11 standard library - doing otherwise seems odd.  My one concern (which I don’t think applies in this specific case) is on the dependency between libc++ and clang.  We need to make sure that there’s an upgrade path that lets us bootstrap libc++ with an older clang, before building a newer one.

David