[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Commit message policy?

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Fri Sep 26 03:21:18 PDT 2014

On 26 September 2014 11:12, Daniel Sanders <Daniel.Sanders at imgtec.com> wrote:
> I haven't got any comments to add that haven't already been discussed but I thought it would be worth mentioning that Phabricator's documentation has a fairly good section on good commit messages at https://secure.phabricator.com/book/phabflavor/article/writing_reviewable_code/#write-sensible-commit-me.

Those are good content guidelines...

My point was more to the format (which I do find important), and I
think we should *also* encourage some syntax in addition to semantics.
It makes more sense for Differential to not care about those stuff
(since it's project-specific) that for any project that uses
Differential.

I think we should have both guidelines, content and syntax, but not
enforce or codify them.

We could reuse that content, but not link directly, as we can never
tell when that page changes and our assumptions may not change in the
same direction.

cheers,
--renato