[cfe-dev] Announcing Crange

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 Pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Fri May 9 11:40:14 PDT 2014

On 5/9/2014 7:08 AM, Anurag wrote:
> Running crtags on Linux kernel v3.13.5 sources (containing 45K files,
> size 614MB) took a little less than 7 hours (415m10.974s) on 32 CPU
> Xeon server with 16GB of memory and 32 jobs. The generated tags.db
> file was 22GB in size and contained 60,461,329 unique identifiers.

DXR produces the database for its indexing on mozilla-central in about
3-4 hours on a 4 core machine requiring about 6GB of memory.
Mozilla-central is perhaps 94K files and around 1GB of size, although
there is a great deal of non-C/C++ code in that repository. (And one of
the slowest steps is that we pre-generate the entire HTML, which easily
adds 20-30 minutes to the timestamp). There definitely seems to be a lot
of scope to improve the performance of your tool.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer