[cfe-dev] Announcing Crange

Anurag gnurag at gmail.com
Fri May 9 13:44:57 PDT 2014

Hello Karen,

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 10:41 PM, Karen Shaeffer
<shaeffer at neuralscape.com> wrote:
> Hi Anurag,
> Last time I looked, the linux kernel was written in C. And I could use
> cscope to create a crosss-reference database of the entire linux kernel
> in about 10 minutes, using far fewer resources than you used. Admittedly,
> cscope gets confused on a few of the complex MACRO usages. But cscope is
> a very popular tool for linux kernel development.

I received the same feedback from my peers - it is way slower than
cscope. I think I must reposition this tool and call it source code
indexer rather than xref generator.

> I suggest you consider the current state of your work a proof of concept
> and think about how to improve your performance by more than an order of
> magnitude.

Sure. The indexing time in its current state is not very encouraging.
As someone said at a performance related talk - The best way to
improve performance is to start with worse :)

Thanks for your feedback,

Anurag