[cfe-dev] clang 3.4 with ubuntu server 3.10 for objective-c 2 development?

Ben Pope benpope81 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 03:00:21 PDT 2014

On Friday, March 28, 2014 04:45 PM, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> On 28/03/2014 09:33, Ben Pope wrote:
>> On Friday, March 28, 2014 04:02 PM, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> i am new to this list as well as everything related to clang/llvm and
>>> obj-c.
>>>
>>> i wish to do objective-c 2 development under ubuntu server 3.10 and
>>> googling around has shown clang 3.4 to be the most ideal compiler set.
>>>
>>> installed clang 3.4 via 'apt-get' and tried compiling a simple "hello,
>>> world" sample (mentioned below) but the compiler threw up a whole lot of
>>> errors.
>>>
>>> //--------- begin ---------
>>> @interface Hello:NSObject
>>> - (void) say;
>>> @end
>>> @implementation Hello
>>> - (void) say {
>>>      NSLog(@"Hello, world!");
>>> }
>>> @end
>>>
>>> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
>>> {
>>>       @autoreleasepool {;
>>>           [[Hello new] say];
>>>       }
>>>       return 0;
>>> }
>>> //------------ end -------------
>>>
>>> i'm sure there's something more i need to install other than just clang
>>> 3.4.
>>> may i know what else?
>>
>> Clang doesn't come with the libraries you're trying to use.  Get them
>> like so:
>>
>> sudo apt-get install gnustep gnustep-devel
> Do you think that should be a hard dependency of the Debian/Ubuntu
> package or a recommendation of the package ?

It's definitely not a requirement on linux, I use clang for C++, not
Objective C, and certainly not Objective-C libraries.  On my system the
above command would install 63 additional packages and take 135MB.

I guess GNUstep is to Objective C what QT is C++?

I'm not an Objective C kinda guy, the above statement is probably
completely wrong :P

Whilst I have your attention, can you package libc++ built against
libc++abi?  That would be awesome :)

Ben