[cfe-dev] Supporting building clang/llvm with VS2012. Why that one?

G M gmisocpp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 04:30:20 PST 2014

Hi Yaron

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 12:27 AM, Yaron Keren <yaron.keren at gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I switched compiler to VC 2013 few weeks after Aaron worked around
> the miscompile.
>
> However, someone working within larger organization don't always have this
> flexibility.
>
> Yaron
>
> I agree the idea needs to be driven by the feedback

But in principle, I would perhaps naively think that "most" people should
have the option to install most versions of VS20XX and/or VS Express
20XX where they are known to work side by side, and especially as one is
free.

Any organisation can make any rule it likes, but it's not clear to me,
subject to disk space, what reasonable rule would want to prevent someone
installing a full Visual Studio and an Express VS version together, or hold
both of them back at some old version and allow no other versions if they
work fine side by side.

If some organisation wanted to do that, it'd seem like that company would
be even less likely to experiment with clang at all.

The most common reason I can imagine why people wouldn't install a really
recent version of either VS or VSExpress is because they don't want to,
probably for no other reason other than they can't be bothered, lack of
disk space, or are worried it'll mess their system up. That's a concern,
but that's what backups are for and I'm not sure those reasons would
be good enough reason to hold back progress.

If cfe-dev is staying on top of the situation and testing these things
basically work before recommending them to everyone, the risks would
diminish too one would hope.

There might be realistic angles I haven't thought of and that's why I asked
the question but I'm keen to see what obstacles, or not, people come up
with, and where they stack up with regards to being tangible or theoretical
and in what numbers.