[cfe-dev] Making FrontendActions composable (or not)

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Fri Nov 15 07:48:21 PST 2013

Heya,

while trying to integrate the static analyzer with clang-tidy I ran into
the problem of combining the static analyzer's FrontendAction with
clang-tidy's. As most of FrontendAction's methods are protected it is not
straight forward to write a combiner/forwarder.

I see multiple ways to solve this problem, but don't really know what the
best way to go forward is:
a) create a CombinedFrontendAction (either by befriending FrontendAction,
or lowering its access boundaries); I assume that the protectedness in
FrontendAction exists for a reason, so there might be downsides to this I'm
not aware of
b) modularize the Analyzer enough to be able to run it as a PPCallback /
ASTConsumer which is registered by a one-off FrontendAction; the problem
with this approach is that when we want to build higher-level tools, we
always need to keep that split

Thoughts?
/Manuel