[cfe-dev] [ARM] Removing v7s/v7f/v7k and cortex-a9-mp

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Thu Nov 7 23:26:43 PST 2013

On 7 November 2013 09:53, Evan Cheng <evan.cheng at apple.com> wrote:

> Can you clarify what you are proposing? Are you proposing that we
> eliminate the option such as -arch armv7s? If so, the answer is no. This
> would impact a lot of users negatively.

I agree this is not a good idea, nor it should be required on the clang or
llvm drivers to spot and A core with MP enabled.

If you are proposing changes to how the information is communicated between
> the frontend and backend, then the answer is maybe. You do need to provide
> a much more concrete proposal that will maintain the functionality.

I thought a bit about this a while ago, and my impression was that adding a
generic flag -mattr=+mp would do the trick between Clang and LLVM, changing
the "a9-mp" CPU name to only a9 and adding the new flag. It should be
simple also to map "-mcpu cortex-a9-mp" on the command line to "armv7s" +
"cortex-a9" + "-mattr=+mp" options.

I can't see how that could impact Darwin in the long term, so I defer to
Evan to make sure it won't. ;)

cheers,
--renato