[cfe-dev] clang-format turning tests into no-ops

Alp Toker alp at nuanti.com
Thu Nov 7 21:49:53 PST 2013

Hi Daniel,

Here's a good one for you..

I've recently been fixing a whole lot of lit tests in the LLVM / clang
suites that don't check anything.

It was a mystery why people keep checking in tests like this:

|// RUN: clang-check "%s" -- -target x86_64-apple-darwin10 -fasm-blocks
2>&1 |||
||// ||FileCheck %s|

The first line will run successfully, and the second doesn't begin with
RUN so the test passes silently. Not good.

Then it dawned on me -- contributors must be running clang-format before
committing, causing their RUN lines to get split up at the line boundary.

I know this isn't strictly a clang-format bug, but it's time consuming
to manually audit and find no-op tests like this after the fact and the
failure mode is insidious because these tests will always silently pass.

I was wondering if you can think of a way to exclude the test suites
from clang-format and clang-format-diff runs. Guessing this could be
tricky given that there are several different ways to run clang-format
but something needs to be done..

Alp.

--
http://www.nuanti.com