[cfe-dev] Clarification for term "AST"

Larry Evans cppljevans at suddenlink.net
Sat Feb 23 09:56:46 PST 2013

On 02/22/13 17:27, John McCall wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2013, at 12:09 PM, Markus Elfring <Markus.Elfring at web.de> wrote:
>>> The problem as I see it is that building a "pure" AST of C++ (and C) is just impossible
>>
>> I have got a different opinion. - Corresponding solutions will need more efforts
>> for further separation of concerns, won't they?

[snip]

>> I guess that it is another software design challenge to ensure clear interfaces
>> between the involved abstraction levels.
>
> To be blunt, invasive refactors based on a non-contributor's sense of
> abstractly good software-engineering practices are not welcome.
> Understand the problems that our data structures are designed to solve
> before trying to tell us the right way to do things.
Great advice.

Now, where are those problems described and
where is the rationale for choosing the clang data structures
to solve those problems described?  With that information,
maybe Markus would have a better idea about why his
suggestions wouldn't work or maybe steer him to
an alternative solution.

> John.

Regards,
Larry