[cfe-dev] [Windows] __uuidof support?

Fredrik Orderud forderud at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 13:34:58 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:

> What C/C++ runtime are you trying to use, a mingw variant or one of
> Microsoft's?
>
> We support __uuidof in the Microsoft C++ ABI, but not the Itanium C++ ABI.
>  The easiest way to use the Microsoft C++ ABI support is with the clang-cl
> frontend:
> http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html#clang-cl
>
> However, the Microsoft C++ ABI support is still really immature, so you
> might want to stick with mingw.  In the Microsoft C++ ABI, Clang lacks
> support for:
> - pass by value of certain kinds of objects
> - RTTI
> - exceptions
> - debug info
> - member pointer support is a bit weak

 Thanks for the information Reid!

I am entirely new to Clang and was unknowingly targeting the Itanium ABI.
By switching to the the Microsoft ABI with clang-cl the problem went away.
:-)

Unfortunately, I instead encountered many RTTI-related compiler issues as
you mentioned. This is a bit disappointing, since it seem like neither ABI
will work for me at the time being.

My primary motivation for testing Clang was to evaluate the static
analyzer. Run-time issues like exceptions, missing debug info etc. is
therefore not a concern for me. What matters is to be able to parse/compile
the code.

Fredrik