[cfe-dev] Is ARC expected to work on ARM?

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Tue Sep 18 19:42:46 PDT 2012

On Sep 18, 2012, at 5:12 AM, 陳韋任 (Wei-Ren Chen) wrote:
>  I am working on making clang test cases pass on ARM. I found test cases
> under ARCMT directory are failed, but this is contradict to what the
> website [1] says (at least to me):
>
>  ARC is supported in Xcode 4.2 for OS X v10.6 and v10.7 (64-bit
>  applications) and for iOS 4 and iOS 5.
>
> Aren't iOS ran on ARM device? I think this implies ARC should work on
> ARM. Anyone can give comments on this? Thanks.

There's nothing about ARC that's particularly more difficult on ARM —
well, actually, there is, but it's not relevant to your question.

It's likely that the ARCMT unit tests are simply failing in an unexpected
way, probably because the test case sets up an environment that's not
actually consistent with an ARM target.  It's hard to judge without any
details about the failures, though.

Almost the right answer is going to be to restrict the test case or specify
a triple.

John.