[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: A Great Renaming of Things (or: Let's Repaint ALL the Bikesheds!)

Eli Bendersky eliben at google.com
Sat Nov 24 06:13:36 PST 2012

>> Are there other names that are poor choices and are lingering in our
>> codebases? I'm willing to sign up to do more renames while I'm at
>> this, so this is a chance to get someone else to do the heavy lifting.
>> =]
>
> I really dislike that all the files and classes in the MC library
> start with MC. This is c++, not c :(

While I agree with the general sentiment, I would be wary of
overloading *core* LLVM concepts for the sake of naming purity. Should
we really have one Instruction for IR, one for the MachineInstr level
and one for MC? IR::Instruction, Machine::Instruction and
MC::Instruction may be reasonable to spell out in code, but not very
helpful for discussing and reading about these concepts. For such key
LLVM concepts, I actually find the separation useful.

Eli