[cfe-dev] Getting involved with Clang refactoring

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Thu May 24 05:28:52 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Arnaud de Grandmaison <
arnaud.allarddegrandmaison at parrot.com> wrote:

>  On 05/24/2012 01:29 PM, Manuel Klimek wrote:
>
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM, David Röthlisberger <david at rothlis.net>wrote:
>
>> On 22 May 2012, at 15:17, Douglas Gregor wrote:
>> > Bringing it back to 'make' a little bit... we could, conceivably, have
>> a compilation database implicitly generated from the makefiles. If one
>> asked it how to build 'foo.cpp', it would find the appropriate make rule
>> and form the command-line arguments. We don't have such a 'live'
>> compilation database right now, but it fits into the model and would be
>> really, really cool because it would allow us to 'just work' on a
>> makefile-based project. Unfortunately, it amounts to re-implementing 'make'
>> :(
>> >
>> > There are other ways we could build compilation databases. There's
>> CMake support for dumping out a compilation database; we could also add a
>> -fcompilation-database=<blah> flag that creates a compilation database as
>> the result of a build, which would work with any build system. That would
>> also be a nice little project that would help the tooling effort.
>>

>>  For the sake of readers who, like me, don't know all the background
>> information, here's what I've unearthed over the last hour or two:
>>
>> 1. If you define CMAKE_EXPORT_COMPILE_COMMANDS cmake will create the file
>>   compile_commands.json.
>>
>>   See http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=fe07b055
>>   and http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=5674844d
>>
>>   I don't know if the format of this json file is documented anywhere, but
>>   from the above commits it seems to be an array of dicts like this:
>>
>>      { "directory": "abc", "command": "g++ -xyz ...", "file":
>> "source.cxx" }
>>

>> 2. Clang has a tool called scan-build that wraps an invocation of make.
>>   You call it like this:
>>
>>      scan-build make
>>
>>   Scan-build intercepts the compiler by setting CXX to some script that
>>   forwards on to the real compiler, and then (while it still knows all
>>   the compiler flags necessary to compile this file) it invokes the
>>   clang static analyzer.
>>
>>   See http://clang-analyzer.llvm.org/scan-build.html
>>   and
>> http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/cfe/trunk/tools/scan-build/scan-build
>>
>>   It's 1400 lines of perl, but most of that seems to be command-line
>> options,
>>   usage help, and generating html reports. The compiler-interception part
>>   doesn't seem too difficult.
>>
>>   Scan-build is relevant to this discussion because one could generate a
>>   compilation database using a similar interposing technique.
>>

>> 3. Something completely different: Maybe we could figure out the
>> compilation
>>   command-lines for all of a project's files at once by looking at the
>> output
>>   of "make --always-make --dry-run".
>>
>>   One difference from the lets-interpose-CXX approach is that this will
>> give
> [...]

Yep, that is true.

On the other hand, the more tools we have the more other OS projects (cmake
/ ninja / etc) will support creating compile command lines. So we need to
find the right trade-off for what to include in the clang codebase. As I
said, I think we don't need to support all use cases from what's available
inside the clang tree.

To some degree we'll always require a compiler that is "compatible enough"
with clang, because we'll probably not want to implement all other
compiler's command line argument parsing inside clang.

In the end it depends on who's willing to write which solution and propose
a patch to clang ;)

Cheers,
/Manuel