[cfe-dev] __attribute__((alloc_size(foo))

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Wed May 23 12:16:56 PDT 2012

On 5/23/12 12:54 PM, Nuno Lopes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please find in attach a patch that implements the attribute
> alloc_size. This attribute was introduced with GCC 4.3.
>
> Intended usage:
>
> void* my_malloc(size_t) __attribute__((alloc_size(1)));
> void* my_calloc(size_t, size_t) __attribute__((alloc_size(1,2)));
> void* my_realloc(void*, size_t) __attribute__((alloc_size(2)));
>
> The attribute basically declares that a function returns memory of
> size given by the product of the parameters listed in the attribute.

I'll throw my two cents in and say that this feature would also be
useful for projects like SAFECode that, in general, will work with any
language but need to know specific information about memory allocators
(including a way to determine the size of the allocation).

That said, we need a way to represent this information within the LLVM
IR in order for it to be useful.

-- John T.