[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] is configure+make dead yet?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Jun 28 11:30:11 PDT 2012

On 6/28/2012 1:37 PM, Chandler Carruth wrote:

>     The fact that CMake uses make for "some bits that Xcode cannot do"
>     is what prevents the Xcode dependency checking from working properly
>     -- the link phase of pretty much /every/ target is implemented using
>     make. It would be /very/ nice to avoid this.

I agree it would be nice to avoid this.  At least for some versions of
Xcode there was no other way to do this.  This may have changed, but I
am not sure.

The basic trouble is:
- No way to specify link order.  Important for static linking.
- No way to depend on external libraries not built in the solution.

Would love not to have make used by Xcode as well.  Have not been able
to do that with Xcode as of yet.

There was an attempt here:

http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/cmake-developers/2011-March/001303.html

It might be worth revisiting.  However, I still say that Xcode should be
creating working builds even with the make being used.

-Bill

--
Bill Hoffman
Kitware, Inc.