[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] is configure+make dead yet?

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Thu Jun 21 14:40:34 PDT 2012

Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru>
writes:

>> Speaking about a good existing build system in python, there is waf : http://code.google.com/p/waf/
>> It is in my opinion far more better than cmake on any point (performance, flexibility, easy to use, ...) ...
>
> I propose premake [1]. It also has nice performance, flexibility, and ease of use,, but does not require Python
> and can produce machine-independent Makefiles. It also support generation of native projects for
> Visual Studio and Xcode (as compared to CMake which inserts calls to itself everywhere).

CMake calls itself from the VS project file for regenerating it in case
some of the CMake scripts changed. Maybe there are other places where
CMake is invoked, but why is that a problem and how turns that the VS
files non-native?

OTOH, please note that we are not discussing to add yet another build
system, but to remove one!