[cfe-dev] is configure+make dead yet?

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Thu Jun 21 07:34:21 PDT 2012

Charles Davis <cdavis at mymail.mines.edu> writes:

> Now hold on there. I thought Daniel was supposed to be working on a
> new build system, based almost entirely in Python, specifically
> because he thought CMake was, uh... inadequate (to say the
> least). I've CC'd him in the hopes of getting his opinion.

It's curious how things pervade through the time... The "new build
system" that you mention was (is?) a unification layer on top (or
between, or whatever) of both existing build systems, supposedly for
decreasing maintenance work and for adding shiny,
not-yet-specified-but-extremely-cool features. Now LLVM may end with a
single build system but with the unification layer still attached that
adds nothing but obfuscation, complexity and the python requirement for
building LLVM.

Oh irony.

[snip]