[cfe-dev] is configure+make dead yet?

Ashok Nalkund ashoknn at qualcomm.com
Wed Jun 20 23:55:25 PDT 2012

On 6/20/2012 11:00 PM, "C. Bergström" wrote:
> On 06/21/12 12:47 PM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Nick Lewycky <nlewycky at google.com
>> <mailto:nlewycky at google.com>> wrote:
>>
>>      Is there anybody who is certain that our autoconf dependency needs
>>      to stay around? Are there developers stuck on systems that don't
>>      have a recent enough cmake in their most recent release, or maybe
>>      are using some features from configure+make that the cmake build
>>      system doesn't implement?
>>
>>      If nobody pipes up, I might actually try actually removing it!
>>

>> FWIW, I'm also under the impression that Apple's internal release
>> process depends on configure+make as well.
> clang/llvm are advertised as being independent of Apple.  There's a ton
> of companies using the project, but we should let them speak-up if they
> *really* need it to stay around.
>
> +1 for removing autoconf dep

I posted earlier but seems it didnt catch anybody's attention.

Please dont remove it yet. I'm relying on configure's '--enable-libcpp'
flag to compile LLVM/clang using clang++ and libc++. I couldnt find an
equivalent using cmake. Please see my mails titled "Compiling libc++
from within llvm (3.1)" and "Build llvm/clang with cmake vs configure
produces different set of artifacts".

If you have any suggestions, I'm most willing to try it out. I dont know
enough about CMake but I tried to go through the cmake build files.

Thanks,
ashok