[cfe-dev] First shot at Bug 4127 - The clang driver should support cross compilation

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Tue Jan 10 01:24:04 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:25 AM, James Molloy <James.Molloy at arm.com> wrote:

> As I say, I'm working on a patch that I think is a superset of yours and
> would conflict massively. I've been planning it for some time and think I
> have a viable end goal and route to get there.

It would be really nice to have smaller patches rather than larger patches,
and earlier discussion of them.

Again, I remain very concerned about doing lots of work around
configuration files to configure a *broken* driver design. I think we'll
just end up with broken config file designs as well, and we'll
simultaneously make it that much harder to refactor and change the driver
in the future.

I am still pushing to see refactoring and design work on the *existing* use
cases the driver supports before extending the use cases. I don't know how
to support cross compilation for more and more diverse platforms prior to
getting cross compilation for very basic platforms, or even non-cross
compilation into a better state.

Consider that system header search logic for Darwin, MinGW, and Cygwin is
still largely implemented in the Frontend rather than the Driver. This is
something I'm actively working on for reference...