[cfe-dev] Rename -ccc-host-triple into -ccc-target-triple

Dimitry Andric dimitry at andric.com
Thu Jan 5 03:30:11 PST 2012

On 2012-01-04 21:29, David Chisnall wrote:
> I am definitely in favour of less confusing names.  It took me a while to understand what these mean.  Apparently gcc uses three terms:
>
> - build (for the system building the compiler)
> - target (for the system that the compiler is built to run on)
> - host (for the system that the code built with the compiler is build to run on)

No, in autoconf terms, "target" has always meant: the system where the
code produced by the binutils/compiler will run.  The "host" is the
system which runs the binutils/compiler programs themselves.

Of course, for programs that do not produce any executable code, for
instance GNU diffutils, "host" and "target" as above have no meaning,
and are often interchanged randomly.  For these, I guess "target" makes
the most sense for many people, but speaking strictly in autoconf terms,
it should be "host", as that is where the programs themselves run.

That said, for clang, it doesn't seem a canadian cross is supported, so
we could only use the "build" and "target" terms, to reduce confusion.