[cfe-dev] Linker selection

David Chisnall David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 14 03:50:42 PST 2012

On 14 Dec 2012, at 11:10, Erik Cederstrand wrote:

> What we really need is a more flexible way of specifying which linker the compiler should use internally. Replacing /usr/bin/ld with a symlink is not flexible.

In particular, we anticipate a fairly long tail of third-party ports that require GNU ld, just as we have a tail that requires libstdc++ and won't work with libc++.  The base system will be using libc++ and hopefully will be using mclinker, and so will most ports, but we still don't even have 100% of ports working with clang yet...

As Chandler says, this is a short-term requirement, but short-term in this context means (optimistically) 'the next 3-5 years'.

David