[cfe-dev] A template refactoring tool

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Mon Aug 13 09:34:45 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:
> Manuel Klimek wrote:
>> Especially for the API changes we'll not be able to do that for all
>> tools that are out there, which I hope is understandable :)
>
> Not porting 'all tools out there' is of course understandable. But what's
> the point of this extra-extra repo then? It would seem that a tool in that
> repo is not 'a random tool out there'. I don't see how the extra-extra repo
> would help people 'a quick way to integrate their own independent tools'.
> Integrate with what, exactly?

Make writing a new tool:
1. click fork on github
2. checkout your project into a clang checkout, hack on it, check it
in, do all the github stuff you want to do
3. be able to point people at your project

It's mainly an entry barrier removal.

> Having three repos to put tools in and find them again is what seems awful
> to me (assuming $CLANGSVN/tools is not going away), and doesn't do anything
> to encourage collaboration between the multiple tool authors writing to this
> list about the tools they are writing. Maybe that was never a goal though?

The three repos have very clear responsiblities:
clang/tools: things that are useful for every developer using clang; libraries
clang/extra: end-user tools that don't fit into clang/tools, but
otherwise with pretty much the same requirements (style / testing /
etc) as clang/ itself; tests will be run on clang buildbots
clang/external: the build environment to easily hook into the clang
repository; this is a base for people to fork their own tool
repositories from

> I could see myself writing a Makefile for the Qt 4 to Qt 5 porting tool, but
> even having all the tools in one place would make it easier to maintain a
> gui for all the tools outside the repo and CMake only (I'd want the tool to
> offer the for loop porting, c++11 porting etc).

I expect all of the c++11 porting stuff to go into extra. For a UI,
I'm not sure, but as I said, given a good design proposal, I'm not
saying it's not going to happen :)

Cheers,
/Manuel