[cfe-dev] A template refactoring tool

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 07:30:28 PDT 2012

Manuel Klimek wrote:
> Especially for the API changes we'll not be able to do that for all
> tools that are out there, which I hope is understandable :)

Not porting 'all tools out there' is of course understandable. But what's
the point of this extra-extra repo then? It would seem that a tool in that
repo is not 'a random tool out there'. I don't see how the extra-extra repo
would help people 'a quick way to integrate their own independent tools'.
Integrate with what, exactly?

Having three repos to put tools in and find them again is what seems awful
to me (assuming $CLANGSVN/tools is not going away), and doesn't do anything
to encourage collaboration between the multiple tool authors writing to this
list about the tools they are writing. Maybe that was never a goal though?

I could see myself writing a Makefile for the Qt 4 to Qt 5 porting tool, but
even having all the tools in one place would make it easier to maintain a
gui for all the tools outside the repo and CMake only (I'd want the tool to
offer the for loop porting, c++11 porting etc).

Thanks,

Steve.