[cfe-dev] A template refactoring tool

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Mon Aug 13 08:58:25 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:
> Manuel Klimek wrote:
>
>> I think that would be a perfect fit for the "external" repository use
>> case.
>
> If it's in the extra-extra repo, then it can't compile the tools from the
> extra repo in. It can only invoke them through IPC. The whole point of
> putting the gui together with the code would be to avoid the IPC and be able
> to do more 'at once'.

The idea is to put everything that is worthy of being explicitly
re-used into clang mainline.

> Eg, if the for loop refactoring tool is in the blessed extra repo and the
> gui is not, then that tool can't be part of the gui.

This is an interesting point. My gut feeling would be that we could
define a plugin definition for the UI, so other people could use their
own (perhaps project specific) refactorings. Of course I might be
wrong, but that's what design discussions on cfe-dev are for :) (with
which I mean: I'd suggest you raise this topic on how to create a
refactoring UI in an extra thread on cfe-dev, feel free to directly cc
me and chandlerc).

Cheers,
/Manuel