[cfe-dev] A template refactoring tool

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Mon Aug 13 07:13:20 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:
> Manuel Klimek wrote:
>>> Can I request that a CMake only buildsystem is fine for this tooling
>>> repo? I don't want to have to write and maintain custom Makefiles for
>>> 'extra' tools.
>>
>> The plan is to provide yet another repository (on github) that
>> basically behaves like extra, but is called 'external'.
>
> That sounds pretty awful to me. So you want two new repos: an extra repo and
> an extra-extra repo. Why not just one extra repo? Who decides what goes into
> what repo? Is the extra repo more 'blessed' than the extra-extra repo? Will
> the extra-extra git repo be ported to API changes that happen in llvm/clang,
> or will only the extra one be ported (as part of doing the actual API
> change)?

Yes, 'extra' is the blessed repo. 'external' will just be to get
people a quick way to integrate their own independent tools. Mid-term
we'll want to actually get a real install of the clang libs (at least
if I understood Doug correctly ;) so that you can use an installation
of clang from your CMakeLists.txt and be done with it instead of
needing to follow trunk.

Especially for the API changes we'll not be able to do that for all
tools that are out there, which I hope is understandable :)

Cheers,
/Manuel