[cfe-dev] Where to put upcoming refcatoring tools

Manuel Klimek klimek at google.com
Tue Apr 10 05:37:17 PDT 2012

Hi guys,

I'm remembering discussions about which set of tools we want to be in
the clang mainline, and for which we might want to create a new
project.
Since the tooling base has landed now, I'd like to get some idea of
how we're planning to structure the clang based tools in the code
base, so we have clear guidelines for the future.

It seems like on the one hand there's clang-check, which is so closely
coupled to clang itself that my gut feeling is it fits perfectly into
the clang mainline.
On the other side we have things like 'clang-extract-method', which
we'll probably not want in clang mainline.
In between there are things like clang-format, which basically all
tools that do code changes will depend upon, thus it's still pretty
close to clang, so we might want to put that into mainline, but I'm
not sure.

My proposal would be to create a new top-level llvm project for the
refactoring tools with a clear guideline on what would go in there.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
/Manuel